- 1/2 lb red or gold potatoes
- 1/2 lb bacon, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup corn
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- Hefty pinch dried hot red-pepper flakes
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 lbs salmon cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Cut potatoes into 1/2” cubes. Cook in a pot of boiling salted water about 8 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
Cook bacon in a 5-quart pot until crisp. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot, then cook onions, corn, garlic, thyme, and red-pepper flakes in fat in pot over moderate heat, until scallions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add milk and cream and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add potatoes, salmon, and bacon and cook until salmon is just cooked through and begins to break up as you stir—about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.